The room was buzzing … or was it

Examining lead pipe samples

lead poisoning?!  A roomful of local people met over coffee and cake (the real attraction?) to share their knowledge and their memories of the famed lead pipes from the Conduit House high on the hill above Campden to Campden House, installed when the House was built around 1612-15.

The water project volunteers have not been entirely successful so far in locating the course of the water system, so it was decided to call in more knowledge – plumbers, builders, farmers – anyone who could remember seeing pipes during various excavations, such as the relaying of the football pitch in the Recreation Ground, and the building of Pear Tree Close.

One man said, ‘The trough that is mentioned at the top of Badgers field, we kids used to float in on a very hot summers day even though the cows used it to drink from !!!.. It measured approx 7 to 8 feet long , 4ft wide and 3ft high, it appeared huge to a small child, but had to be as up to 60 cows would use it on a daily basis.  What memories!’

There was also much debate about how the pipes were made in the 1600s, casting lead strips and folding them round a former, maybe, before sealing them with solder … or were they cast around a metal rod?  Maybe someone will read this and let us know!

Examining lead pipe samples
Examining lead pipe samples
Group listening to speaker
Rob describing how the lead pipe might have been made
Group
Lively discussion about lead pipe lines
Samples of lead pipe, one of them original, and the plan
Samples of lead pipe, one of them original, and the plan

Leave a Reply